[OM] Digital v OM, lubricants for OM-2S, Cheap Zooms

Subject: [OM] Digital v OM, lubricants for OM-2S, Cheap Zooms
From: Stacey Campbell <stacey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 2 Dec 2003 15:28:24 +1100 (EST)
On Mon, 1 Dec 2003, Stephen Scharf wrote:

> >From: "GeoW" <gwsears@xxxxxxxxxxx>
> >
> >There are a few of us left on the list waiting for all the off-topic
> >digital chatter to pass
> >as if you're not a newbe to the list, you are aware that this was
> >and as far as I am
> >aware still is an "Olympus OM" list.
>
> Actually, it's the Olympus mailing list, it is not, nor has it ever
> been, limited to the OM system. I don't think the digital chatter
> will die down.

I _am_ a newbie to this list and I have to admit that when I signed up
I wasn't expecting any traffic on this list about digital cameras,
let alone the 750r more of the traffic I've seen so far.  I design
digital camera innards for a living and my old OM gear is my hobby,
so I don't particularly like plowing through email that reminds me of
work, rather than email regarding my hobby. :-}

Okay, back on topic: what are reasonable lubricants for the (non-
electronic) mechanisms underneath the bottom plate of an OM-2S?
I'm located in Australia, so almost any mail-in service option I'm
aware of will cost more than the actual camera body itself, otherwise
I'd just have the body serviced in a heartbeat.

Another subject: my OM lens kit consists of three inexpensive primes,
the 21/3.5, 50/1.8 and 135/3.5, however I've recently become a dad
and now I want to do "environmental portrature" (as they say) of a
high-speed toddler so I'm considering buying a zoom lens.  B&H list
a Zuiko 35-70/3.5-4.8 which I guess comes from the same outfit that
produced the OM-2000.  They also list a Tokina 28-105/3.5-5.3.  Both
these lenses are in my price range...which gives you some idea of my
price range. :-(  Does anyone on this list own either of these
lenses?  If so, could you share your thoughts?

I'm also a rank newbie on eBay and got absolutely spanked on my first
attempt to buy a Zuiko zoom that I thought I dealer wouldn't touch with
a 10 foot pole:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2967331477

Is this last second bidding par for the course on eBay?

Stacey
http://www.pigtailproductions.com/stacey/