Re: [OM] Cheap Zooms

Subject: Re: [OM] Cheap Zooms
From: Jim Couch <jamesbcouch@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 03 Dec 2003 23:15:54 -0800
Scott,

I have found that the eyecup does not help much with the split or microprism darkening. It does increase apparent contracst and make focusing esier for me though.

You don't necesarily need a brighter screen for the slower zooms. The 1-2 (Microprism/matte for tele), The 1-4 (all matte), 1-10 (fine matte for super tele) and 1-10 (matte with grid) will all work well with slower zooms AND still meter correctly with the older OMs.

Jim Couch

Scott & Barb wrote:

This brings up the matter of an eyecup.  I am slowly collecting zooms over
f4
in the hope of finding one I love for soccer.  My current favorite lens for
this purpose is the Tokina AT-X 60-120mm f2.8 which I purchased for use
at a wedding (btw it was great for that purpose).  I love the lens for its
outstanding brightness with the standard OM2n split focus screen.  While I
wait for the 200mm atx zoom to drop in "pre-owned" value, I am thinking of
buying an eyecup in the hope of getting more use out of my slower zooms.
How much of a difference can I expect an eyecup to make in regards to
preventing the focus circle from darkening?  Of course I can spring for a
newer
generation screen (before they too are gone) - but then there is the issue
of
meter accuracy.   Hum.....