[OM] Re: Vertical format and heavy lenses -- the Manfrotto solution

Subject: [OM] Re: Vertical format and heavy lenses -- the Manfrotto solution
From: "Wayne Harridge" <wayneharridge@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 17 Jan 2004 21:54:39 +1100

> I saw that but couldn't quite figure out how it would help.
> For what did you use yours?

The ARC QR plate has a sliding plate on top of the HEX.  This plate has
cork to give some friction and also a "lip" on the back edge.  The idea
is you mount the camera body loosely on the QR plate and slide the piece
with the lip against the back of the body (300 tripod mount in your
case), then tighten.  The combination of the lip and the friction of the
cork prevents the body (tripod mount) from rotating.  I found it worked
well with the 200/4 mounted on a body and the body secured to the QR
plate when the normal hex plate wouldn't secure that combination
properly.  I never used it for the 300/4.5, preferring to rotate the
lens in the tripod mount.

...Wayne