[OM] Re: ( OM ) I wonder if they used Zuikos? Off-topic

Subject: [OM] Re: ( OM ) I wonder if they used Zuikos? Off-topic
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 01 Mar 2004 14:32:39 -0800
garth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

>Just wait for Return of the King to come out on DVD and then beg, borrow or
>steal a cinema-quality home theatre setup to watch it on.  (Though I have to
>admit, seeing it in 70mm with full DTS/Dolby/whatever is incredibly
>impressive...).

I'm going to see ROTK Friday. I like to wait 'till crowds are down and
go to a matinee. I'm spoiled by my home set-up and want my choice of
seats and nobody talking, potty breaks when I want, etc. In preparation,
we just watched the extended versions of the first 2. I think they are a
vast improvement on the original theater versions. Less of the book
contents missing, less choppy story line and better character
development. The whole story just flows better.

Last year when we watched Fellowship at home just before seeing Two
Towers in a theater. Both my SO and I thought the picture at home was
better than in the theater. Could be a tired print, but it was so. I do
have a pretty good home theater, 55" HD screen with progressive scan DVD
and Dolby/DTS sound with the stereo channels through high end audio,
surround channels through big, full range speakers and sub-bass through
2 15" subs. If I get carried away, I could possibly knock someone off
the couch with the bass on some movies, you can feel the house rumble.
Sure works on the battle scenes. They could have given the Ents a bit
more rumble to their deep voices though.

I hardly ever go to the movies in a theater anymore.

I understand why they left Tom Bombadil out of the movie, but I think it
leaves an important symbolic/energetic piece of the whole mythic story out.

Moose