[OM] Re: 81a filters

Subject: [OM] Re: 81a filters
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 2004 00:03:04 -0800
waynecul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

>Moose's (as in Moose warming filters, not our resident moose) on 81a.
>http://www.moose395.net/gear/81a.html
>Perhaps most of you are familiar with this, but I never really understood it
>in a technical sense until I found and read this article earlier today.

Interesting. He says:

"Our brain can amazingly interpret the message from our eyes and present
us with information that really isn't there, at least concerning color.
White light is made up of colors, color that no matter how it might
change, we perceive as remaining constant. To our minds, white remains
white even though physics says it's not. Film does not have the
advantages nor abilities to render colors as a constant no matter the
source as our vision would have it. Film is stuck with physics. We must
not only understand this, but also be able to adjust for and take
advantage of this fact."

And I said back when we were discussing this and I had adjusted color
balance on a couple of shots you had posted:

"I had to adjust the color quite a bit to get the almost violet color
out of the side of the mountain, the distant mountains and the dirt in
front of the church. Notice the sky became an actual blue. The problem
isn't just lack of saturation, which I did increase, but also color
balance. I did significant color balance changes in both mid and dark
tones on the church and mid tones on the landscape. Notice how much
browner the dirt, mountains, etc. are in the adjusted images. It may
well be that this is what it actually looks like and our eyes adjust to
what we 'know' common things look like. Whether that's the case or not,
you want the slides to look normal."

>Someone on this list steered me toward using an 81a for color problems at high
>altitiudes.

At least a couple of us, maybe more, and I'm sure Moose's combo filters
were mentioned

>So on that reccomendation, when I was in Bolivia last
>month, at mostly altitudes between 8500 and 12,000 feet, I used an 81a
>filter (81b on the 35RC) on all my lenses all the time (except for the
>vivitar 17mm, for which I didn't have one to fit). I've been there five
>times previously, and this is the first time I've been able to get good
>results.

It really felt good when you reported the results a while ago.

Moose