[OM] Re: Okay, let's talk about film ........

Subject: [OM] Re: Okay, let's talk about film ........
From: AG Schnozz <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 3 May 2004 21:56:47 -0700 (PDT)
> But I would like to know how do people in this group manage
> printing slides nowadays.

Scan and digital output to either my S9000 or to Fuji Crystal
Archive at the pro lab.

> I maybe wrong since resources at these latitudes of the globe
> are rather
> limited, but I suspect digital scanning and printing are far
> below the old
> Cibachrome/Ektachrome/Radiance.

1. I've gotten unbelievable results doing two scans with
drastically different scanner exposures and merging them (with
Picture Window Pro or The Gimp 2.0). This gives me deep shadow
detail and extended highlight control.

2. Do all of your normal editing, but add "Local Contrast
Enhancement".  (USM with a starting point of 25 or so pixels and
20%).  This gives a nice "film look" and warms the picture
nicely.  The more times you do this the more "cibachrome" it
looks.

3. Stretch the histogram a bit more than usual. Try using more
than 1% black pixels!  We tend to view the end points of the
histogram as brick walls not to be exceeded.  Feel free to break
this barrier.  After all, Cibachrome sure did.

4. High gloss paper.  Canon's Photo Paper Pro, Photo Paper Plus
Glossy is a dead ringer for the old Cibachrome glossy.

Cibachrome is now known as IlfoChrome.  Same stuff, different
name.

AG