[OM] Re: Q. for E-1 Owners

Subject: [OM] Re: Q. for E-1 Owners
From: "Wilcox, Joel F" <joel-wilcox@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 2004 23:04:05 -0500
Ags wrote:
> [...]

I didn't trust myself actually to take a feel of anything!

Seriously, I'm kind of looking for a good snapshot kind of digicam that
can also do a bit more if necessary.  The 8080 seems to be going down a
course that runs somehow parallel (as in not intersecting with) the
d-SLR route.  That's just my bonehead take on it.  It's a bit more money
that I want to spend. I don't think the C-5060 is apt to be a stinker,
and it's somewhat smaller than the 8080 too, which is a factor.

If I get the hang of this thing, I'll give up the egg money for an
E-something-or-other down the road.

> I have changed my shooting mode methodology. For a while I was
> shooting RAW almost exclusively.  Fine and dandy, except that it
> made editing down a pain.  JPEGs are easier to deal with, but
> the image quality isn't "ultimate" like the RAW files are.  When
> shooting portraits and events, I'm using JPEG. The ability to
> instant review with pixel-level zoom-in is very handy. And so is
> the ability to quickly copy the images to the computer and
> quickly print is important.  For "stock photo" style shots, I
> prefer shooting in RAW. I copy everything to the computer and do
> a batch conversion to an easily digestable size--like 800x600.
> These I proof quickly and determine which ones are probably the
> keepers.  The keepers then undergo a hands-on conversion to TIFF
> for editing and printing. Otherwise, like 90% of my files, they
> go into long-term storage without further immediate action.

I had a discussion about this tonight with a friend.  This guy is a
fairly serious shooter who has been doing serious work with digicams for
as long as anyone I know.  After his first 640x480 camera he had a 3MP
Sony for a while and now works with a G5.  Sold all his Canyon film
bodies and glass after he got the Sony.  I remember I thought that I
detected a kind of self-satisfaction at that stage.

I told him that I had finally ordered up my first digicam and mentioned
that I was liking the E series concept a lot and reports were good.  I
talked about the OM glass I wanted to be able to use with an E body
someday.

He told me, "Every time I talk with you, I feel sorry that I sold all my
film camera gear."  Here I was finally coming to a point of commonality
with him, and mostly talking about digital stuff, and what happened is I
jerked some cord of nostalgia.  Either that or he was thinking about how
much sense I would have made to have a Digital Rebel or D10 if he'd only
kept some EOS glass.  I suspect he'd like to get a d-SLR but would kick
himself every time he thought about that.

Anyway, he said that he shoots everything in jpeg. I would be tempted at
least to try jpeg in most ordinary situations.

Tell me this:  Do you store two versions of RAW images, the RAW version
itself AND the post-processed file;  or do you just store the processed,
"finished" version?

Joel W.