[OM] Re: E-lemma

Subject: [OM] Re: E-lemma
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 2004 12:45:38 -0700

On Oct 14, 2004, at 12:00 PM, iwert wrote:

> I am sitting here with an E-lemma...
>
> Several E-1's being offered at 1500,-
> Willing to try this out,
>
> This is a good price, but where are the lenses I am asking myself.
>
> I don't like zooms, there is only one interesting (read: affordeable)
> prime
> (50f2)...

Be flexible. If you want a mature system both Canon and Nikon offer
them. Or make do with an Olympus zoom and the 50/2 until more come out.
Have fun. Play.

> My zuiko's could help (the om-adapter is even with it, + an extra
> battery).

Yep.

> And soon there should be something more compact.
>
> I guess I'll have to wait. Be patient.

How long? How long tamping down desire, being patient, when you could
be excited by learning to use a whole new way of making images that
will have you saying, "Wow. I did that?"

> Ah, there is my trusty OM. Wide view and nice glass, great choice.

Yeah....   And will your OM cease to be trusty, with a wide view and
nice glass if you get an E-1?

> Why is it we are tempted by what we don't have?

Curiosity. Creativity. A new take on things. Being alive.

> Will my pictures improve? No, I am sure.

Yeah they will. Instant feedback is an amazing learning tool even for
those of us who have forgotten more than they will ever learn in the
future.

> And those negatives are stored so compact and cheaply, and can be
> scanned at
> "any" resolution.

Wow. Small negatives. You can put a lot of high resolution images on a
CDRom for less than a buck and more on a DVD. And even more cheaply on
an external hard drive.

> DSLR also means new computer, new storage, more back-up?

Why is that? You don't scan images now? The needs are the same.

> Nah... I should stay analogue.
>
> 'll stay OM for a while!

Ahh. Don't be patiently sad. Choose new experiences. Life is short. As
Don Juan said in one of the Castaneda books, "Death is always sitting
on your shoulder." Don't live as if you knew what tomorrow will bring,
because you don't.

Winsor
Long Beach, CA
USA