[OM] Re: thoughts on shooting wedding

Subject: [OM] Re: thoughts on shooting wedding
From: "Wayne Culberson" <waynecul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 8 Mar 2005 18:48:45 -0400

> Buying a medium format film camera might be a good thing and especially
> because you can get some good deals on medium format gear right now.
> However, the reason you can get some good deals in medium format gear is
> that wedding and portrait photographers have been bailing out of medium
> format in droves and moving to digital... and they're not looking back.
> Chuck Norcutt

I probably won't be buying into either digital or medium format, as shooting
weddings for me is not a money maker. The few I have done have been for
friends and family, and I don't charge for doing them. And I don't go
looking for the opportunity, but only do it when asked.

Being a Baptist pastor, more often I fill the role of officiating at
weddings, and signing the legal papers, another service for which I do not
charge, so weddings aren't a source of income. But in all the weddings I've
been involved with to date, I've never been to one that was shot with
digital, but always with 35mm and/or Med. Format. Perhaps we here in eastern
Canada are behind the rest of you in yet another way.

A further thought not related to the reply:

This thread is a bit of deja vu for me, as I first joined this list in the
summer of 2001 (I think) just before I was to shoot what was then my second
wedding. I found this list, and was looking for advice, and received quite a
bit, with thanks to many of you. And since then I've been enabled into the
acquiring of several OM's, lenses, flashes, a TLR, bits and pieces, etc.,
plus the poor lonely C5050 in digital, all things I wasn't looking for at
the time I joined the list. It's interesting to note a change of tone of the
list since then though, at least of those who post quite often. Back then it
was about fangs and collecting and praising and explaining OM things, but
also about critizing the wunderbricks and their users, something which sort
of surprised me at the time I joined. It almost seems, at least to me, that
now if you  want to post something positive about the OM system, you almost
have to expect to put yourself in the defensive position, a rather strange
thing to happen given the title of the list. And criticizing anything
digital is guaranteed to get you in trouble. I wonder if the advancing
technology of digital in the last 2 or so years has brought about the
change, or something else, such as a veiled admission that we might have
been wrong about the advancing technology of film cameras of the 80's and
90's as well.

Personally, I still don't get along well with auto-focus. It is fine for
subjects at infinity, and may be a help for those who chase moving objects,
something I rarely do, or for those who have failing eyesight. But for me,
it comes with the price of a poorer viewfinder, and too many out-of focus
shots.  It is one of the chief problems of going further into digital, for
me. That of course, and the cost.

Wayne