[OM] Re: Tripods

Subject: [OM] Re: Tripods
From: jking@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2005 13:43:24 +0100 (BST)

>>But while I'm at it, I wanted to get an informal survey of how many of
>> you
>>"still" shoot off tripods..  I just bought a Manfrotto ball head, a big
>>one, and it makes a huge difference..
>
> I do . . . just used it heavily within the past week or so.  Then again,
> I'm "old fashioned" for still using film.  Frankly, I don't care what
> anyone thinks about *how* I'm making my photographs and gave up caring
> about it long ago.  I've been known to crawl on the ground, climb on top
> of

I almost exclusively shoot from a tripod whenever I can. However, in the
uk there is a lot of places that simply will not allow you to do so.
Example docklands in london. I get told by a private security guard to
move on because I am taking photos. Next to me are poeple with digital
point and shoot they are not asked to move on. When I complain that I am
on a foot public path the security guard says the docklands are privately
owned and the owners don't want tripods...

london underground. Cant use tripods without written permission because of
health and safty. You have to have black and yellow safty tape around the
area you work in and have a london underground offical with you at all
times... apparently permission takes several weeks. I did not bother with
the paper work and hand held.
even in hong kong I was moved on by a monk who had a sign written in
various languages saying no tripods.

There seems to be less of a problem in China where so far I have never had
a problem. I keep thinking about a mono pod which apparently I can use in
the underground with no permission and no problems...

James