[OM] Re: [Hello to the list] + request for info on a tamron

Subject: [OM] Re: [Hello to the list] + request for info on a tamron
From: Manuel Viet <oly@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 9 Jun 2005 01:44:49 +0200
Le mercredi 08 Juin 2005 21:03, ScottGee1 a écrit :

Fun story indeed...

> Moral of the story: Not everything that bears the name of a
> manufacturer is manufactured by that company.  The camera industry has
> long been rife with speculation (and, sometimes, facts!) about who
> makes what for whom.

That's something that crossed my mind.

> I've been a fan of and used of Tamron lenses for years and don't ever
> recall seeing the one you describe.  Wonder if it might be some kind
> of prototype?

It came into my hands in the most normal way, via a Fnac (popular shop for
consumer electronics, books, photography etc. in France ; they used to have
an automatic offer for old gear when buying a new one, and they resold the
2nd hand products much in KEH way). So I don't know for sure, but if I recall
correctly, they at the time wanted to have the original buying ticket to
avoid reselling stolen gear. So I don't see how a prototype could have been
sold by a regular shop in the first place. Of there might have been a hole
somewhere in the process, but I don't think I'm lucky enough for that ;-)

I've put some pics online as a teaser, because (although I admit I'm pretty
green in the field of old lenses) I don't think the design of this glass
matches the pre-adaptall era look. But the mount is indeed fixed, with 4
screws (unlike zuikos).

http://www.chez.com/sordm68/tamron/tam_ext.jpg
http://www.chez.com/sordm68/tamron/tam_sup.jpg
http://www.chez.com/sordm68/tamron/tam_front.jpg
(biggest picture is 60 Kb ; if anything goes wrong blame it on Tiscali and
leave me a note, I'll try to fix it).

--
Manuel Viet