[OM] Re: Cell phones/Italy, as far OT as possible

Subject: [OM] Re: Cell phones/Italy, as far OT as possible
From: Andrew Fildes <afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2005 19:42:53 +1000

On 21/06/2005, at 6:24 AM, <bs.pearce@xxxxxxx> <bs.pearce@xxxxxxx>
wrote:

> zero (zed for Brother Barker),

Huh? No - zero is zero. Thinking of the last letter of the alphabeta
perhaps. Half my students mispronounce that because they were brought
up watching Sesame Street on the electronic babysitter. But then,
they think 'a lot' is one word as well.

> you lose driving privileges for a time, six months I think.
> The two infractions that cost 5 points, the highest single amount, are
> driving without seatbelts, and driving while talking on a cell phone.

Similar here only in reverse. I thought that most places had a
similar system. We accumulate points - speeding at less than 10km
over the limit and caught on a speed camera cost me a fine AND a
demerit point. Reach a certain number of points in a two year period
and it's automatic license suspension for a few months. Consequently,
half the professional white van drivers in this country are driving
vehicles licensed to their bedridden grandmothers. Develop a system
and the people develop a dodge.
AndrewF