[OM] Re: konica-Minolta/Sony deal

Subject: [OM] Re: konica-Minolta/Sony deal
From: "R. Jackson" <jackson.robert.r@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 19 Jul 2005 11:46:27 -0700
A friend if mine who used to be in stereo retail told me years ago
that the customers were changing. He was selling more receivers with
sets of tiny satellite speakers than high-end components at the time
and that was nearly a decade ago at a stereo shop that had only dealt
in the high end at one time. In the 70's my friends and I talked
stereo components the way a lot of people used to talk about engines.
That whole culture seems to be fading away. I still get Stereophile,
but in almost every issue there's some quote about the vanishing
landscape of audiophile stereo shops. People can't hear the
difference anymore, for one thing. Of course, that's all connected to
the death of the recording industry, too. I was at my old music
school in Hollywood a few months ago listening to the orientation rap
they were giving an incoming class and they were telling them that
there's no studio work in Hollywood anymore. In Hollywood. When I
went there we *all* worked around town constantly. It was an industry
town and there was WAY more work than there were musicians to cover
it. Jesus, I need a Valium or something...sorry...