[OM] Re: New Base for OM Lenses

Subject: [OM] Re: New Base for OM Lenses
From: AG Schnozz <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2005 08:14:29 -0700 (PDT)
I talked with a pro photog friend of mine last night and asked
him about the 5D.  His eyes brighten for a second and then his
wife pipes up, "like THAT's going to happen!"  He's got a 1DmII,
20D and a ton of very expensive stuff.

He says that the commitment to the APS format is pretty high.
Lenses are wider angled than what he would have purchased for a
full-frame camera.  He estimates that the conversion to the 5D
and 1Ds-mii setup would require another $3000+ in lenses to
match the 35mm format.  (he was a medium-format shooter
previously so no older EOS lenses to work from).

And for wedding/portrait work, which we both do, we agree that
the higher resolution is pretty much a waste.  He figures he
needs four years of use from his camera system to break even.
The C*non upgrade treadmill is causing a lot of professionals to
lose a lot of money.

More than once he's looked at my E-1 and said "how much did you
pay for that?"  I remind him that my investment is proportional
to my income, though.  At which point his wife says "income?"

AG

http://mail.yahoo.com