[OM] Re: Katrina Disaster Caused By Exotic Dancers

Subject: [OM] Re: Katrina Disaster Caused By Exotic Dancers
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 10 Sep 2005 22:20:00 -0400
Thanks, John.  I used the opportunity to post a good sized piece of a
Wall Street Journal editorial that discusses how our legal heritage has
gotten in the way of large scale disaster response.  I'm also posting my
last paragraph here since it may help those outside the US comprehend
the scale of the disaster.

My mention of "redcoats" reminded me of our UK brethren and the
president's statement that the size of the Katrina disaster area was
larger than Great Britain.  I think this is probably a bit of an
exaggeration but not by much.  The combined land area of Louisiana,
Mississippi and Alabama is about 150,000 square miles.  The land area of
Great Britain is roughly 90,000 square miles.  Maybe the area that has
been *totally devastated* is only about the size of England or only
50,000 square miles.  Perhaps this will help Europeons put the scope of
the problem in perspective.

Chuck Norcutt