[OM] Re: Printing e-1 images on Epson 4000

Subject: [OM] Re: Printing e-1 images on Epson 4000
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2005 17:16:34 -0800
NSURIT@xxxxxxx wrote:

>What opinions might there be in Zuikoland about the Epson 4000  printer?  I
>am considering an upgrade from my Epson 1280.  An offer of  a 4000 at $775 has
>been made from a fellow who has had it for about 11  months.  Assuming it all
>checks out, might that be a good move for printing  my e-1 images.  The other
>choice, should I decide to buy, is the Epson  4800 which has the new K3
>Ultrachrome inks.  This option is good  bit more expensive.  Any opinions
>about
>either of these printers?

Are we to assume here that you plan to print larger than the 13x44 in.
1280 will do? That's the only reason I can see to go to the 4000 series.

You can get into the Ultrachrome inks much cheaper with the R1800 or
R2400, if 13" paper width is enough.

The ink thing can seem complicated. The ultrachrome ink printers seem to
have finally caught up with the inks in the 1280, et. al., so one n
longer has to choose between permanance and lively color.

The photo-i review of the R2400 has some very useful images and info
about the old vs. new in comparing the SP2100-2200 to the R2400 and the
R2400 to the R1800. I think the 2000 series comparison would apply to
the 4000 vs. 4800 as well
<http://www.photo-i.co.uk/Reviews/interactive/Epson%20R2400/page-10.htm>.

If I were replacing my 1270 right now, I would go for the R1800, but I
don't print B&W, and don't see myself printing over 13x19". Also, I'd
have to do some major rearranging to accomodate a 4000 series printer.
Those suckers are BIG and heavy.

Moose