[OM] Re: Recent E-500 Owner / ZD 14-54mm

Subject: [OM] Re: Recent E-500 Owner / ZD 14-54mm
From: "Allen Corrice" <acorrice@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 29 Dec 2005 20:18:41 -0500
I think I just found a wonderful combination!  The E-500 needs the 14-54mm
lens instead of the 14-45mm.  It covers the same ranges as one of the kit
lenses but it is extremely nicer.

The new lens arrived just a couple hours ago and immediately I noticed a
complete difference with the experience.  The viewfinder became much
brighter and crisper.  The auto-focus is quick and accurate.  The motion of
the lens is better also--I don't know what the correct term to describe what
the difference is but I will try.  When the 14-45 is at 14mm it sticks out
like it is zooming.  When the 14-54 is at 14mm it is completely pulled in.
The end of the 14-45 moves inward towards the body and then back out as you
zoom.  The 14-54 just moves outwards as you increase the zoom.  It feels
much much better and I didn't think it felt bad before.

The images I have taken without the flash all seem to be brighter now.  I
guess this is because the range f2.8-3.5 is better than f3.5-5.6.  I was
worried that I might have dropped $400 on something with minimal
improvements over the stock lens but I am completely satisfied.  I can't
wait to see what other more expensive lenses are like!

14-54mm was a great buy!