[OM] Re: OT: DSLR viewfinders

Subject: [OM] Re: OT: DSLR viewfinders
From: Andrew Fildes <afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 10 Jan 2006 10:19:26 +1100
There was always a trend to crop the viewfinder down to something
like 94% to allow for the mount of a slide which would crop the frame
slightly. Only pro models like Nikon F's were 100% as it was assumed
that a prophotog was smart enough to allow for this and wanted
WYSIWYG finders. Even in rangefinders, some allowance was made based
on the thickness of the framelines.
It seems utterly irrelevant to do this in a DSLR or EVF camera so we
can only assume that reason has become the victim of tradition or
else that the manufacturers are convinced that the average prosumer
can't frame properly.
Agree on the D200 - quite useable finder. Shame about the CCD. :-)
AndrewF