[OM] Re: Photoshop bennies OT

Subject: [OM] Re: Photoshop bennies OT
From: Joel Wilcox <jfwilcox@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 9 Feb 2006 10:47:00 -0600
On 2/9/06, Bob Whitmire <bwhitmire@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Okay, I took the plunge, recognizing that sooner or later, progress being
> what it is, Photoshop would worm its way into my life. Did the deed, got
> CS2, and even managed to install it. As a benefit, I get a choice of some
> "free" goodies. Once choice is between a couple of free issues of either
> Photoshop User or Layers magazines. Anyone read these? Any recommendations?
> My principal use for CS2, natch, will be processing photos and scans for
> printing and sale, not for publications, etc., so print-shop uses and
> how-to's are not high on my list of things I want to keep up with.
>
> And as an aside, I found it fascinating that as I registered my copy of CS2,
> in the drop-box where they want to know your profession, "Photographer" is
> not among the choices. There are all sorts of graphics and design choices,
> but not nary a one for Photographer. I identified myself as "Other," which,
> I suspect, is the story of my life.
>
> And, FWIW, the user manual that came with the software, while nicely printed
> and easy to move around in, nevertheless practically assumes users are
> graphics and print-shop professional types rather than starving artists or
> others trying to assemble properly pretentious "artist statements." Maybe
> that explains why the damned software costs so much. (No, I didn't pay
> retail. I did the old-version + new upgrade thing which allowed me to
> register and activate with Adobe and receive future upgrades and updates,
> etc. But it was _still_ expensive.)
>
> --Bob

Bob,
I suspect we really only need the current Elements for most of our
work.  I've been with PS since version 4, so I'm just too scared to
fall off the wagon.  I end up just always lagging a version behind it
seems.  But I hope you enjoy it and more than that, I hope it adds to
your enjoyment of your photography.

Joel W.