[OM] Re: It's happened. I've relented.

Subject: [OM] Re: It's happened. I've relented.
From: Andrew McPhee <macca@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2006 17:57:10 +1100
At 12:27 AM 14/03/2006 -0500, Bill Barber wrote:

>I was in the local repair shop today.  The guy that owns it had a  shelf full
>of Canon and Nikon digital cameras he was cleaning the sensors  on.  I've
>used my e-1 for almost 2 years and its sensor gets cleaned every  time I
>turn it
>on.  He said he never has one in for repair. He, along with  other say there
>is no comparison with the color produced by the OM sensor and  either of the
>other two.  I've not used them,so I can't say.
>
>Are you going to buy the high dollar IS lenses? If not, what is the point  of
>getting the Canon. Dirty sensors are a way of life (an expensive one) for
>people who use the other two.
>
>Buy the e-330 or 500, use your Zuiko glass and a minimal DZ kit, enjoy it
>and wait.  If things don't work out with the e-system, you won't be heavily
>invested and it will give Canon an opportunity to figure out sensor cleaning
>technology.

I looked at other brands but truth be known, the self-cleaning sensor was
the main selling point for me when choosing what DSLR to buy.  I just
didn't want to know about sending my camera in for service because of
something like this.

So I went for the E-500 twin lens kit (14-45 and 40-150), it is very
capable and takes nice photos.

Though I wish I'd hung out and bought better glass.  Not that I could
probably see any difference in my photos technically, but now I'd like some
extra speed and reach.  I'm thinking a nice DZ kit would be just like what
Walt is using:

7-14mm f/4
14-54mm f/2.8~3.6
50-200mm f/2.8~3.5