[OM] Re: YADT, 5D - Dust at various apertures

Subject: [OM] Re: YADT, 5D - Dust at various apertures
From: Johnny Johnson <jjohnso4@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 14 Apr 2006 23:51:44 -0400
At 11:21 PM 4/14/2006, Wayne S wrote:

>Well, I guess if I mess it up, the cost is about $185 to have the IR
>low pass (anti-alias) filter replaced. Or so it has been reported.
>I have no idea what these filters are made of and how durable
>they are. But I'm an engineer, so I'm used to breaking things
>in the interest of knowledge.

Me too (ex-engineer).  Maybe that's the reason I scratched the
secondary screen (the one above the focusing screen) on my body.  It
cost about the same amount to have it replaced.

>so maybe
>my 5d will still be an OK camera in another year. Assuming I don't
>break it by then.

My guess is that it'll be an excellent camera five years from now
unless, at least in my case, my wants exceed my needs.

>Does
>the IR filter have surface effects, or is it smooth.

Sure looks smooth but that may just be relative, compared to the size
of your dust particles.

>I'm still eyeing the CO2 duster with
>suspicion, even though the cartridges say American Recorder
>on them.

Are you doing this blowing in a really clean area?  I wonder if you
might be pulling in dust particles when you give it a shot of air?

>I'm not sure I understand the relation of diffraction to the 5D
>other than it is a 35mm frame size?

I think the effect varies with pixel pitch so diffraction kicks in
sooner with tighter packed sensors like the ones in the E1, 10D, 20D,
etc.  If I run across an article "discussing the science" I'll
forward it to you.

Later,
Johnny

Johnny Johnson