[OM] Re: Workout - Day 2

Subject: [OM] Re: Workout - Day 2
From: AG Schnozz <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2006 07:14:04 -0700 (PDT)
The CF card dump didn't take quite so long last night when I got
home.  Only 820 pictures last night.  :)  I know that tonight
will probably be closer to 1200.

I've been making adjustments as this event has progressed.
Nightly review of the images has been most helpful.  For
example:

1. Hot pixel during evening 1. Since everything was shot ISO 400
and 800, it showed up in almost every picture. Fortunately, it
won't show up in print.  Pixel mapping immediately took care of
it.  Before shooting higher ISO's it's a good idea to do a pixel
map.

2. Auto-Focus was getting fooled big time by the stage lighting.
Last night I shot 100% in manual-focusing mode.  Not only didn't
it hurt me a bit, but in fact it was rather enjoyable.  When in
doubt watch for the focus-confirmation light.  Honestly, I
didn't have any problems manual focusing on the E-1's screen and
when shooting wide-angle, the plane of critical focus was thick
enough to not worry about.  During "the jube" in Day 1, the AF
missed far more times than it hit. Last night's "jube" I had a
80% hit rate and the timing was dead on.  I'll be shooting
manual again tonight.  Tonight's "jube" will require me to chase
the celibration involving about fifty people with over 1000
others trying to congratulate them.  It's crowded and quick
paced.

3. WB fine tuning.  The ambient light shots I had the camera set
on auto WB.  The camera picked two different WB settings and in
a fast sequence would almost alternate between the two. I looked
at the EXIF of the ones I liked and manually selected that WB
for the second day.  Results are now consistant and dead on.
EXIF is your friend!

4. Exposure fine tuning.  I was alternating between manual
exposure (for flash shots) and Aperture priority for the auto
shots.  I'm using a Vivitar 285HV in Yellow mode. (F4 at ISO
400).  As these were all indoor shots, I changed the flash mode
setting to Aperture priority and dialed in -1.5 EV.

5. Programmed the settings into Custom Setting #3 (flash shots)
and Custom Setting #4 (ambient shots). I managed to get things
fine-tuned enough that the two are interchangeable.  The -1.5 EV
plus flash was just what the photographer ordered.  Other than a
slight flash shadow, there is no indication that flash was used.
:)

6. The 100/2.8 rocks!

7. ISO 1600 and 3200 is usable in a pinch.  For the final usage,
the shots are perfectly adequate.  It's better to have noisy
pictures than no pictures at all.  Biggest problem with 1600 and
3200 is the noisy shadows.  You've got to drag the curve down in
post to clean the shadows back up.

8. HQ mode is excellent.  Larger files are not compatible with
the client's workflow and usage.  It is important, though, to
keep the in-camera sharpening down to "0" otherwise the noise
increases dramatically.

9. 97% of the pictures have been taken with the 14-54 lens.
Other than a slight bit more range (11-70 would be really nice),
this lens is as perfect of an event lens as I could ever hope to
have. The ability to focus all the way down to macro is killer.
F4 has a most beautiful bokeh at most focal lengths. (except for
the crossover point).

10. My Minolta A1 is still getting a bunch of use, for shots
where I can't use the viewfinder (floor, overhead shots). Also,
the image-stabilization is sooooo useful.  I am shooting that in
RAW (ISO 400) and converting in RSE 2006 where I can whack the
noise and keep the sharpness high (too high, actually). The
28-200mm equivelent lens did come in handy for some distant
shots where I didn't want to change lenses on the E-1.

11. I never did change the batteries last night!  In either
camera or the flash.  I'm using 2200mah rechargeables in the
Vivitar.

AG

http://mail.yahoo.com