[OM] Re: MY NEW WEBSITE FINISHED!... YAY!!! :-)

Subject: [OM] Re: MY NEW WEBSITE FINISHED!... YAY!!! :-)
From: Steve Dropkin <steve@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 06 May 2006 06:40:54 -0500
Adam Bolt wrote:

> Well... It's almost finished!... I'm interested in getting feedback from
> people to what they don't and do like.
>
> Visit
>
> www.adamboltphotography.com

Lots of great work there, Adam! It's always enjoyable to see
List-members' work; you've got some real prizes there.

Someday I shall get my Web site going (don't know about any real
prize pictures there, though....). Not having a site up and running,
though (because having one truly is work) makes me a bit hesitant to
criticize, but you asked for feedback....

Mr. McPhee covered most of the things I saw that I thought should be
changed -- the mixture of Internet providers when you've gone to the
trouble of registering a domain, removing pages "under
construction", etc.

A couple of points I haven't seen mentioned:

- There are almost too many pictures in the galleries. On my
PowerBook the thumbnails are indecipherable. This makes it necessary
to either flip through _every_ photo to see it at a useful size, or
using the "blooming" feature for thumbnails big enough to get an
idea of what the photo is about (and then clicking to see it
properly). Frankly, there were so many pictures that sensory
overload set in.

- I found the the frequent re-centering of the content on gallery
pages disconcerting. I'd rather see the text at the top and the
thumbnails remain static and just the picture resize. I also would
drop (if possible) the watermarked filename over the "full-size"
photos; what you chose to call the picture doesn't matter to
(prospective) clients.

- That also would address another issue: even on a cable-modem
(currently running at >4 Mb/sec) I had to watch some pictures paint.
iprimus provides some pretty heavy pages. I don't know how prevalent
fast Internet connections are in Oz, but I feel sorry for anyone
trying to view this site over dial-up.

I did happen to like the text and pictures against a black
background -- it makes the pictures pop and I did not find it
tiring. I like that viewing the gallery doesn't fill my browser's
history file -- one click of the back arrow and I'm at the gallery
home page.

All in all, a lot of nice work -- but the site does not show it off
to best advantage.

Regards,
Steve