[OM] Ghost from the past...

Subject: [OM] Ghost from the past...
From: "Shawn Wright" <swright@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2006 21:36:14 -0700
Hello all,

Just dropping on the list after several years absent, and glad to see quite a
few old
names still around, and the list still has a good home! :-)
(you old timers might remember me... ;-)

An annual pro photo camp going on at my school this week got me thinking about
new camera, and I actually played with a D50 (egads!) for a few minutes. We
have
several Nikon bodies (D1, D2, D70) at work, but I've never paid much attention
to them
to be honest. I still use an old C2500L when I need a camera at work and it
does
amazingly well for its age. One of my co-workers asked me to look into a new
camera
for her (she uses a C-2020Z or similar), and asked about the E-500. So I
started
looking into it, and it sounds like a decent deal for her, and possibly for me
also.

The past two years I have used mostly a D575 for family shots, with my OM gear
only
coming out for an annual vacation... My standard OM kit is either an OM-1 or
4T, and a
21/3.5 & 85/2, so my needs are pretty basic, but I do like the wide angle 21mm,
often
using it as a standard lens when hiking.

So my questions/observations on the E-500 vs D50 follow, mostly based on
reading at
Steve's Digicam website:

-the shutter lag seems similar, but the power on delay at 2s is much longer
than the
D50. Is this an accurate statement?
-the multi frame sequence abilities of the E-500 are much less than the D-50
-the E-500 offers more options for storage -xD & CF
-the E-500 battery life is not bad, but still only 1/3 to 1/4 that of the D-50.
(i found the
battery life of my D575 is terrible, and carry 3 sets of NiMH batteries...)
-is the OM adapter useful with the E-500? I have 21/3.5, 35/2.8, 50/1.8, 85/2 &
135/3.5
Zuikos - are any of these suited for this use?
-is my OM gear still worth anything on the market, or should I keep it for
nostalgia?

I will continue to read up on the archives about the E-500, but I guess I'm
hoping
someone here has already been down this road before...

Thanks,

Shawn Wright
http://members.shaw.ca/vwdiesels
'88 Westy 1.6TD 5 speed