[OM] Re: Totaly off topic

Subject: [OM] Re: Totaly off topic
From: "Ian Nichols" <ian.a.nichols@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2006 17:01:10 +0100
On 10/10/06, keith_w <keith_w@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Or, oddly enough, exercise the brain you have, by leaning how to safely
> operate the equipment you have, by not taking chances, by avoiding quick but
> ill-advised thrills.
> By far, the worst kind of accidents are caused by the people involved in the
> accident.
>
> It's not the motorcycle's problem, Charlie.

Erm, in Charlie's defence, I'd  point out that he never said it was,
merely that he chose not to ride on motorcycles having weighed up for
himself the fun agains the possible consequences of an incident.  He
may well have included an estimate of his own ability to control a
bike and keep track of all the hazards, and quite likely included some
assessment of the risk due to the negligence & stupidity of other road
users.  If he did that, then he was using his brain in a very rational
way and I have no problem with the decision he made.

Doesn't affect my decision to keep riding, though, nor does it make me
a fool for deciding otherwise.  Some perfectly sane people choose to
slide down ice-covered mountains on bits of wood or jump out of
perfectly good aeroplanes, neither of which tempt me.