[OM] Re: E-400 Caution

Subject: [OM] Re: E-400 Caution
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 28 Oct 2006 01:30:17 -0700
David Irisarri wrote:
> Dear Winsor,
>
> Like E-XXX series, E-400 is alittle bit noisy in the shadows but I must say
> it will render very beautiful images at all ISO range. Have a look to this
> ISO 800 test image.
Well, I wouldn't say only noisy in the shadows. It's noisy everywhere at
800. Certainly not competitive with the best larger sensors. In its
favor, at 10mp, the noise will all be smaller than the E-1, and so less
noticeable at any given magnification. And it's not a particularly
obtrusive type of noise.
> It has been captured in JPG. I wonder how you could
> improve it with the newest RAW processing engines and noise reduction
> algorithms. E-400 will be a clear winner!!!

I think, and hope, so. I think it's not for me, but that's not an issue
I have to think about for a while here. It's a camera for those doing
digital with a historical, film outlook. iso 800 was about the fastest I
ever shot with film, and th e-400 has quite a bit less noise than the
grain of 800 film. And of course, Oly has obliged with a number of fast
lenses, to fit the film equipment profile. but those fast lenses are
rather expensive, large and heavy.

The alternate model that some digital bodies offer is smaller, cheaper,
lighter lenses for the same or better capture quality in any given light.

I love the size. Maybe the next iteration will have lower noise. That
with the 18-180 strikes me as potentially a very special travel/walk
around combo.

Moose