[OM] Opening up a can of worms...Which Oly dslr to get

Subject: [OM] Opening up a can of worms...Which Oly dslr to get
From: Tim Taylor <timt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 01 Jul 2007 09:42:13 -0500
Okay, I have been shooting 35mm for nearly 40 years (Nikon, Canon,
Leica) and sold it all about 4 years ago to dabble in digital. I
purchased an Oly C-8080wz and although it has great lens capability, the
ergonomics and ability to manual focus are the pits!

Since I liked the Olympus lens quality I started looking at the older OM
line to get back to shooting the way I was accustomed to. I 'stole' a
set from an older gentleman (OM2n/winder 2, 24/2.8, 35/2.8, 50/3.5,
75-150/4 and 300/4.5 plus assorted filters, bag, etc. for only $240. I
know I should have felt guilty but instead I was giddy!

Since then I have added a mint OM1, clean OM4, 28/2.8, 100/2.8, 135/28.

Now the kicker...I want to try the dslr line now in the Olympus line in
order to use my existing OM lens where applicable as well as build a
small stable of good lens (i.e. the 14-54 ZD).

Now after all that, which dslr body to start with?

What I really like about the E-1 is build quality and the better
viewfinder compared to the later Oly dslrs (at least from what I have
read and what I have seen of the e-410).  My eye-site is not the best
(wear glasses) but manual focus alot as well as auto-focus. What I may
not like about the E-1 is the lower resolution, i.e. 5.4 vs 8 and 10 of
the later dslrs. I rarely need to go above 400 asa so noise levels are
not much of an issue.

Is this that much of a factor for prints up to 12 x 16? I understand
that the E-1 has a reputation for a more 'film' quality to the way it
renders images and I may like that.

So some basic questions here:
1. Is the viewfinder in the E-1 alot better than all the other E-series
bodies including the newer ones? Is the auto-focus better (quicker, more
accurate) in the E-1 than other bodies?
2. Is the small mega-pixel size that much of a handicap?  I am impressed
with the 8mpx size in the C-8080 so wonder if going down in size will be
a factor in print sizes up to 12 x16?  Rarely go larger.
3. Build quality should be more impressive in the E-1 than all others,
right?
4. How quite is the E-1 compared to the others? I have read that it is
much quieter than all other E-series and other dslrs.

Anything else you have found out through experience with the E-1 I
should know about would be appreciated.

Anyone care to help me out (or confuse me?) :-)