[OM] Re: Panoramic?

Subject: [OM] Re: Panoramic?
From: Dan Mitchell <danmitchell@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 06 Jul 2007 15:47:25 -0600
Jeff Keller wrote:
> Dan, did you use panotools?

  Depends on what you mean. If you mean something based on pano12.dll,
yup -- both hugin (for the stitching) and pano2qtvr (for remapping from
equirect -> 6-faces for touchup, and final compositing into a qtvr file)
use that.

  If you mean something else, then no.

> I think the weirdness is coming from the software that displays the
> image. Zooming in changes the pattern. With the guybrown image I am
> also seeing a "reflective" rectangle in the middle of the dark
> building, straight ahead when the image starts up. As the image is
> rotated left or right, the reflected pattern changes.

  Oh, no, it's definitely a manual feature; check out the floor on the
internal ones, there's text there and stuff. It's a fairly common way to
cover up tripod legs -- I do handheld shots, thus the lesser sharpness etc.

> Is the instantaneous angle of view adjustable when the pano is built?

  Yup, you can set min/max/initial fov, and the size that the "movie"
displays at. You may well be able to do a lot more, I've generally just
used the basics. (fspviewer / ptviewer.jar have a different set of
options, but require java rathre than quicktime. There's also a flash
viewer, but support for that requires the for-money verion of pano2qtvr
rather than the free edition).

  -- dan