[OM] Re: iStock

Subject: [OM] Re: iStock
From: Andrew Fildes <afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2007 23:01:33 +1000
That's the impression I get - very much a 'community' approach which
means that your work many be checked by any of 40 scrutineers before
acceptance and they have different levels of 'pickiness' - some seem
to be happy if the content is good, others look for any flaw to
disqualify it and they are less likely to give you feedback.
Frankly for me at my stage of endeavour it is this or nothing really.
I mentioned it to a friend who is in the forensic accounting software
area and he signed up as a buyer immediately - he needed images and
was able to populate his website and produce advertising material
cheaply with images he would not have been able to afford to have
shot specially. AFAIK he'd never even heard of stock photography
before I mentioned it. I suspect that it may reach a tipping point
and is cheap enough to make image theft pointless for thumbnails and
small images at least.
Plus there's a real discipline imposed on you (oh that feels good!).
Andrew Fildes
afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx