[OM] Re: E-3 User Comments

Subject: [OM] Re: E-3 User Comments
From: Garth Wood <garth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 02 Nov 2007 08:33:15 -0600
Daniel Sepke wrote:
> I am starting to wonder if the logic that lead to the change of hard to soft
> switch has to with how the MF design of the SWD lenses works. IIRC the new
> lenses are being promoted as having some sort of mechanical manual focus
> rather than the focus by wire system that has been the standard till now.
> Perhaps with the new lenses you just grab the MF ring and the camera lets
> you focus regardless of the mode?

I think you've hit the nail on the head with this, Daniel.  (I certainly
*hope* so!)  Getting rid of the switch, if all you need do is grab the
focus ring and "override" auto focus, is to my mind the best design of
all -- then I don't even have to fumble for the switch (which I find
myself doing on other E-series cameras I own), but rather just grab,
refine the focus and fire.  Fly-by-wire focusing designs have always
left me feeling a bit non-plussed anyways; I'm really interested in
acquiring the new lenses.

> I imagine I won't figure out how much I will get on with this change until
> the E-3 lands at my house. Like Donald notes, I find my myself drawn in to
> buy this one quite badly right now :)

Well, I've done something with the E-3 that I never did with the E-1;
put my money down and pre-ordered one from the local pro shop.  They
*claim* that the bodies will be arriving sometime next week.  Landed
cost is $1,750.00 CDN plus tax, which for once is quite competitive with
places like B&H after you factor in the shipping and Canada Customs'
"handling fee."  (There's no duty on camera bodies imported from the
U.S. into Canada, so that's not really a factor.)

Garth