[OM] Re: lithium iron phosphate batteries, was: TSA: Safe Travel

Subject: [OM] Re: lithium iron phosphate batteries, was: TSA: Safe Travel
From: Jan Steinman <Jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 1 Jan 2008 20:44:39 -0800
> From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>
> From somewhere I have a note that it takes about 33 kwh to produce
> enough hydrogen by electrolysis to equal the energy equivalent of a
> gallon of gasoline.

I think that's off a bit, but probably not by much.

There's 37.6 kWh in a gallon of gasoline. If you can produce that with
only 33 kWh input, you've got the foundation for a good perpetual
motion machine. :-)

I don't know the typical conversion efficiency of electrolysis, but
assuming 90%, you'd need about 42 kWh.

All minor quibbles in what looks like a sound analysis: you probably
ain't gonna get your transportation fuel off your roof...

Other analyses I've seen show batteries trumping fuel cells for
transportation needs. Fewer conversions typically mean better
efficiency.

:::: "We need a revolution."
:::: "Keep saying that, and we'll need a lawyer, assuming they let us
have one."
:::: Jan Steinman http://www.VeggieVanGogh.com