[OM] Re: Exciting times chez Moose

Subject: [OM] Re: Exciting times chez Moose
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 24 May 2008 20:20:35 -0700
Andrew Fildes wrote:
> I should say that this is a regular Eucalypt trait - they are not only not
> deciduous, they shedleaves constantly and the gums shed bark too, especially
> the stringybarks, although that is more seasonal. That's not mess, it is
> valuable and attractive leaf litter.

That depends a lot on what's underneath. See below.
> Consequently, it is a ridiculous idea to try and grow a lawn
This is not an area of lawns. I have a modest one in front - not under
Eucalpyt(s), but quite unlike the usual concept. It's native grasses
that are never mowed. More like a small meadow. Some parts are large
bunches/tussocks, other relatively barren. The flower/seed stalks are
about a meter high and I find them exceptionally beautiful. They are
very delicate, with the flowers almost too small to be seen with the
naked eye, but they do add subtle colour. It's the only thing resembling
a lawn for some distance.

> under them - the correct ground layer is a shallow, dry leaf litter or, in a
> garden setting, a nice light mulch or woodchip layer (not pine chips - too
> acid). With a few grass tussocks. Living with Eucalypts requires a shift in
> paradigm - early European Australians found them difficult to love.

I find them rather attractive, in the right places. Living right under
several of them, as I did at one time, no.
> And the wrong place to plant a big gum? Any closer to a house than about 20
> metres. Otherwise they'll shade it in the winter and suck enough moisture out
> of the ground to shift the foundations in the
> summer.

By that criterion, every one in the residential areas of the East Bay
should be removed. The one just removed in my pic is closer than that to
at least five houses. These hills are deceptive. the narrow, winding, up
and down streets without sidewalks, the many trees and bushes, give a
sort of rural feel. But it is in fact fairly dense. so trees that
require large open areas underneath aren't really suited. Doesn't mean
they, various sorts, aren't all over the place. It keeps the arborists,
and those lesser beings, simple tree cutters, in work.