[OM] Re: Wanted: 8mm f/2.8 Fisheye

Subject: [OM] Re: Wanted: 8mm f/2.8 Fisheye
From: Dawid Loubser <dawidl@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 4 Nov 2008 20:16:35 +0200
Sir SilverNose,

That is *exactly* what I did. I spent so much money on fantastic Canon
EOS
digital gear, and I enjoyed it thoroughly. Until I (for the fun of it)
got an all-mechanical Mamiya RB67, and thereafter a Linhof 617, and
then I
started using my battery-less Sekonic incident light meter with my Canon
1-series DSLR. Then I got the amazing Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L, the best
fast
50mm ever (IMHO) and I stopped using autofocus completely.

Then came the death knell: I looked through an OM-1 viewfinder. I felt
a OM Zuiko lens. Then I realised, that *having more* expensive stuff
does
not make me happy. I did not *also* desire an OM system. I wanted it
to replace
my big, expensive Canon system. I could access more interesting,
better designed,
better built (mostly, in anyway) smaller, equipment through which I
could
pour my photographic soul and really *make* my own images. And I don't
have to step
out of the "mode" of using either other all-manual cameras.

I decided that, however cool it was to take noise-free images at
ISO3200 at f/1.2
in the dark, instantaneously, and at no cost, almost all of those
images were
crap in anyway. They were just because I "could".

Now, I never exactly sold my soul for better megapixels (and now way
you are going to
get "better" pixels than the huge, clean pixels of a 1D MkIIN in
anyway) but I realised
that I wanted to slow down, I wanted to take images that make them
worth waiting for,
make them worth spending time in a darkroom for. Otherwise, I just add
more "noise" to
the world. And the SnR-ratio of the world is terrible as it is. And
(in the words of
the infamous and often-dodgy Ken Rockwell): Chicks dig film cameras.
Chicks dig men who do not
spend their holidays looking at the pictures they made during the
holidays.

Of course, after I almost lost my life, and had to fear my loved one
being raped
and killed as we, amidst the threats, had to barricade our bedroom
door against
our attackers, I found it really easy to give it all up. To stop
caring about the
equipment, and just start having fun.

I have never really had debt (although I heave never really had a ton
of money either)
but I can't explain the revelation of enjoying this "cheap" OM
equipment so much, and having
the funds to look around for the more interesting stuff, and being
able to buy it when the
opportunity arises.

When I get married and go on honeymoon in February, you can be sure I
will be taking my
OM-1. And nothing else.

So yes, somebody *please* sell me an 8mm/2.8 if you don't need it!

Dawid