[OM] Re: TOPE 36 call for entries, and extended shooting period

Subject: [OM] Re: TOPE 36 call for entries, and extended shooting period
From: "Ken Norton" <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2008 09:21:41 -0600
I've been thinking about Wayne's delemma and I think I have an adequate
solution.

At issue is the quality of Wayne's scanner.  For TOPE, this really is not
that big of a factor because the image is downsized so heavily.  When
downsizing images, I've found that a slight bit of blurring is actually
quite helpful prior to the downsize.  What you are doing is applying, in an
editor, a bit of AA filter using a blur function.  The radius of the blur is
determined by the ratio of reduction.  Inotherwords, a reduction to 25% of
original would need a 4-pixel blur to prevent aliasing.  This, BTW, is one
of my tricks to get film images to match digital camera images--I resize
them downward to about the same dimension but apply bluring and NR prior to
the downsize.

So, all Wayne really needs to do is get a four-roll box of FujiFilm from
Walmart (or other retailer of choice) for $4-6 bucks. (Fujifilm 200 is a
terrific night film, BTW, due to a slightly extended near-IR response), have
the film processed for $1.64 per roll at same retailer.  Take it home, and
scan it on whatever garbage scanner is around OR just have it digitized
during development and placed on CD.

Either way, by the time you downsize for the web display used in TOPE,
almost anything is going to work great.

AG