Re: [OM] An amazing discovery... well, to me anyhow

Subject: Re: [OM] An amazing discovery... well, to me anyhow
From: WayneS <om3ti@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 22 Nov 2008 09:24:34 -0500
Seems a constant topic, which I have contributed to in the past.

I'm the opposite of Chuck, being most successful with the PecPads
plus alcohol method. I can get pretty much everything except dust
behind the AA filter that was there from the beginning. The trick is
getting the sensor pad width exact and only wipe in a single pass
across the sensor. For larger dust, I use the CO2 duster.

I still believe the best anti-dust methods really require some sort
of anti-static method as the sensor shaker only works if the dust
particles are large. The smaller particles really stick, for which,
as AG says, are held further from the sensor on the E-1, but are
still there.

One of the problems with MEMS devices is the tendency for things
at that scale to stick, but there have been some recent advances
to counter that problem - anti-stiction coatings.
Hence the best anti-dust systems will probably be in the coatings
on the AA filter combined with ionization methods == my speculation.

For those who missed my experience in the past.... watch out when
the camera gets hot, such as leaving in the hot car, as the lubricants
are more likely to splatter on the sensor. Hence the reason only the
wet method really works best for me as the stuff is not necessarily
particles or are particles with oil. The CO2 duster for large
stuff is easy and convenient.

Another solution: Advance the sensor after each shot with the
sensor advance lever.

Wayne