Re: [OM] An amazing discovery... well, to me anyhow

Subject: Re: [OM] An amazing discovery... well, to me anyhow
From: Jan Steinman <Jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 23 Nov 2008 09:15:25 -0800
> From: WayneS <om3ti@xxxxxxxx>
>
> I still believe the best anti-dust methods really require some sort
> of anti-static method as the sensor shaker only works if the dust
> particles are large.

What is this "dust" of which you speak? Is that similar to the "virus"
of which I hear certain computer users speak? I am fascinated by such
talk, as I have no experience with such things. :-)

> Another solution: Advance the sensor after each shot with the
> sensor advance lever.

I think you're a marketing genius.

The problem with digital cameras is the lack of consumables. The
printer manufacturers, which, with few exceptions, are not the camera
manufacturers, are making a killing on ink. This leaves the camera
makers with nothing to sell if they somehow make a perfect camera.

So instead, the camera makers are coming out with products of
increasing complexity and minor differentiation, adding all sorts of
unwanted features as a means to invite product-churn with end-users
(witness the two DZ 50-200 lenses), when they *could* be concentrating
on making stable products of lasting value (witness the OM single-
digit line).

Let's lobby for a thin strip of transparent material that covers the
sensor and is periodically thrown away and replaced. It could be wound
onto the waste reel every tenth or hundredth shot or whatever. The
material could be much thinner than film, so you could fit a lot more
onto a disposable roll.

Such material would (of course) be quite expensive, allowing end-users
to pour their excess funds into landfills more efficiently than by
disposing of last year's cameras year after year. My restoring a per-
shot cost to photography, photographers might actually slow down and
think about what they're shooting before mindlessly putting the drive
on "5fps" and holding the button down. They might actually begin to
chat about images, instead of megapixels.

"Give away the razor, but make a killing on the blades." seems to have
been forgotten these days -- except by printer makers, who have
mastered it.

:::: Those who don't understand satire are doomed to argue with it. ::::
:::: Jan Steinman, http://www.EcoReality.org ::::