Re: [OM] don't say please !

Subject: Re: [OM] don't say please !
From: Mike Lazzari <watershed@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 09 Mar 2009 10:41:27 -0700
Locally we are subject to this all the time even though we don't cross
the border. The border patrol sets up random spot checks. The macho
attitude, women too, is _at best_ inefficient and counter productive.
e.g. interrogating the person in the article kept at least one agent
from "protecting" the country for 3 hours. In another case locally their
spot check caught deported the bread winner of a family who happened to
be an illegal. The rest of the family members either have a green card
or are US citizens. The family have been living in the community for
more than 10 years. A friend of ours has been renting to them and now
they can't pay rent. The community has helped out for a few months but
the support has waned and an immigration hearing is months away. So our
friend has the option of foregoing some of her retirement income or
kicking the family out on the street. This makes our country safer?

On the other hand I have found the Canadians businesslike and efficient
and also courteous. The two are not mutually exclusive.

Mike