Re: [OM] SP Systems Power Pack w/T32

Subject: Re: [OM] SP Systems Power Pack w/T32
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 19 Aug 2009 19:39:20 -0400
My 17 AH battery seems to do fine.  It easily runs all 4 lights (AB800)
but I normally only use two outdoors.  My inverter is a 300 watt but
recall that it's a "true sine wave" model.  That's a requirement for
Alien Bee lights and I suspect many others.  But apparently all true
sine waves aren't so true.  The first brand I tried (I don't recall the
name) didn't work at all.  The flashes just sat there like bumps on a
log.  No charging, no flash.  Then I carefully examined the photos of
the Alien Bee unit and scanned a lot of ads until I found one that
looked almost identical and with identical specs.  The maker was "Samlex
America".  That one works like a charm and looks like these
<http://www.samlexamerica.com/products/subcategory.asp?CategoryID=7&title=Pure%20Sine%20Wave%20Inverters%20Light%20Duty%20Commercial>
I think the PST-15S-12A 150 Watt is the one used by Alien Bees. Mine is
the PST-30S-12A 300 Watt.  As I said before I think I'd buy the 150 if I
were to do it again.

Chuck Norcutt