Re: [OM] E-P1 hands-on report - AG Schnozz Style

Subject: Re: [OM] E-P1 hands-on report - AG Schnozz Style
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 27 Oct 2009 09:18:11 -0400
On September 7, 2006 Nils Frohberg forwarded a note to this list from
Olympus Europe.  It was a response to his question about the voltage
limits for the hotshoe on his E-500.  The response was that the E-500
and other E-system cameras were protected to 200 volts.

Canon digital SLRs (except for the 10D) are protected to 250 volts.  The
10D is only good to 6 volts which, I suspect, Canon found to be a
mistake.  On second thought the 6 volt limit may apply to the earlier
D30 as well.  In any case, cameras from the 20D onward are good to 250
volts which gives me confidence that the quoted 200 volt limit for the E
bodies is also correct.

That said, it is not uncommon to find 283 and 285 flash units that
exceed 250 volts.  I had one that measured about, IIRC, 260 volts.  To
the best of my knowledge all 285HVs measure about 12 volts.  12 volts is
also a typical value for a T32 and other flash units of the period.

Chuck Norcutt