Re: [OM] sometimes you shouldn't window shop - 5D

Subject: Re: [OM] sometimes you shouldn't window shop - 5D
From: "C.H.Ling" <ch_photo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 4 Nov 2009 01:00:00 +0800
It is better to create custom profile for different ISO using the NI Tool,
"Auto profile" sometimes does not work well. But custom profile also not fit
with the heavly adjusted image (color temp, exposure...) or image with
different sharpness setting...etc. In this case I usually select the area to
profile and sometimes multiple area is required (first select an area large
enough for "Rough Noise Analyzer" then select the critical subject such as
face for "Fine-Tuning"), make sure the profile quality is over 90%.

For noise filter setting here is an example I used for the ISO1600 E-3 image
below.

http://www.accura.com.hk/temp/Clipboard001.jpg

Original image from Olympus Master, NR off, sharpness -1:

http://www.accura.com.hk/temp/P1160926.jpg

Noise reduced image:

http://www.accura.com.hk/temp/P1160926-NR.jpg

You may start with the Filter Preset - Advance - Remove only half of weaker
noise, keep more details. Then modify the parameters to suit your need. I
usually use less NR to keep some noise in the image, it provides a more
natural look.

In this example I also sharpen the Y channel with 50% high freq. setting.
You have to be very careful about the sharpen, it easily create un-natural
look.

C.H.Ling