Re: [OM] How to whiten yellow teeth in PhotoShop in 10 seconds flat

Subject: Re: [OM] How to whiten yellow teeth in PhotoShop in 10 seconds flat
From: Candace Lemarr <CandaceRocks@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 10 Nov 2009 09:18:05 -0700
   When Chuck first posted this tooth whitening link, I thought to
   myself, "Now that is a game I'd play if I had the time to do it." So,
   I saved the link with the info (I signed up, thank you, Chuck), and
   planned to revisit it next time I have some teeth that need some
   brightening.
   Now that I see Moose has used one of my images I have to laugh. So,
   just want to say, that I use layers. Layers are my best friend. And I
   do not ever care to make the teeth "white". A bit brighter, yes, a bit
   less yellow, yes, make the shadows not so dark in between the teeth,
   yes. But white teeth? No. Few people have them naturally, and we
   usually only see them in magazines and on tv or big screen. My own
   teeth are a definite yellow shade, and have been since they came in.
   It is the natural color of my teeth. I find the teeth whitening line
   of thought to be very similar to the eye whitening line of thought.
   Not natural. If anything is done, a very light touch is what I prefer.
   Having said that, I prefer step one in Moose's example, where the
   teeth are "just not as yellow".
   For myself, I have used a duplicate layer, color balance to remove
   some yellow, or simply de-saturate a bit, layer mask and paint the
   teeth back in. Perhaps lowering opacity on the masked layer if the
   whitening is too white. Takes a few seconds. But I'll try the method
   laid out in Chuck's link next time and see how that goes.
   BTW, does anyone know what the keyboard shortcut is to flatten layers
   in CS3? The one mentioned in my book and online isn't working for me.

Candace

   Moose wrote:

Chuck Norcutt wrote:

Thanks, I'll have to try that too but this one is very easy and, I think, near
foolproof.

OK, now you got me curious, so I did a simple little test. I was
particularly curious about his idea of a casual lasso selection on
surrounding areas.
[1]<http://www.moosemystic.net/Gallery/tech/YellowTeeth/Teeth.htm>

1. As is

2. Simple Lasso, reduce yellow saturation

3. Lighten #2 with levels

4. Same Lasso, both reduce yellow saturation and increase brightness in
Hue/Saturation Tool

5. #4 with Lasso selection replaced with a Quick Selection Tool selection.

6. QST selection, WB gray dropper in Levels used on teeth.

7. #6 lightened in Levels.

As I suspected, the Lasso Tool makes for trouble, as the adjustments to
the teeth affect the lips. One could, of course paint the mask, but the
point here is quick and easy. The QST is that, as well as accurate.

Simply pulling down the yellow saturation and lightening in H/S or
Levels, I still ended up with a little yellow. I'm sure either that
could be done better or may actually be preferred as a look by some.
Almost white teeth.

The WB dropper gave nice, clean neutral tones, pure white teeth.
Combined with QST, it seemed to me to be the quickest, simplest process.

Teeth borrowed from a Candace portrait.

Moose