Re: [OM] TOPE 43 shooting season announcement (last of the TOPEs?)

Subject: Re: [OM] TOPE 43 shooting season announcement (last of the TOPEs?)
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 2010 17:26:55 -0500
Martyn wrote:
> However, if they do carry on I don't see the point of reducing the
> number to 2 a year - if people can't be bothered to submit a picture
> every 3 months I doubt that  decreasing the opportunity will make much
> difference (& obviously there's no need to participate in them all).
> Also I think that we should stick to using Olympus kit in some way -
> there are so many other ways to publish "general" pics on the net.

It's funny that you mention all this as every few years we've had this
very same conversation. Maybe if we dropped down to two a year we'd
get more participation in any one event, but the overall participation
would be lower. As to the Olympus kit "in some way", this was also
agreed upon.

Beginning of rant.

Not to pick on Chuck, but let me pick on Chuck. He gets an OM-4 and
then comes up with every imaginable excuse to not use it. Come on, if
you can't get off your duff to run a single roll of film through the
camera and have it put on a Photo CD at time of development at
Walgreens, then there is something seriously wrong in your thinking. I
have NO sympathy for him in this situation.

Roll of film no-name film from Walgreens: $2.00
Processing from Walgreens: $2.00
Photo CD from Walgreens: $1.00

Go out and shoot that roll of 24 exposures in an afternoon, drop it
off at the drugstore, wait in your car for 35 minutes, walk back in,
pay your $5 plus tax, go home and load said CD in your computer.
Select a shot, resize, tweak, add your comments and email to Olaf.
Oh, and before having the film developed, check the store flyer to see
if the Photo CD is free with coupon.

If you can't focus the stupid camera, then use that focus scale, stop
down to F8 and shoot zone-focus.

Excuses don't fly.  Get off your duff and just do it.  Martyn is right
about at least SOME part of the equipment used to take the picture has
to be Olympus. If it was truly a hardship, I'd go along with opening
it up, but it really isn't.

End of rant.

AG Schnozz