Re: [OM] Fence + Green Grass = Myth

Subject: Re: [OM] Fence + Green Grass = Myth
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 17 May 2011 10:09:08 -0500
Moose thus grunted:
> I don't see it a matter of cojones, of faith, courage or fortitude . . .
It seem to me to be
> more about what you really want to do, what will inspire you and/or give
you enjoyment.

On one hand it's a self-challenge. Maybe none of you have this problem, but
I personally struggle with not being able to focus in and perfect something
if I have too many options. Should this shot be done in digital? Velvia?
Provia? B&W? Color print film? Which ISO? Tripod or not? Filter or no
filter? Wide-angle or Telephoto? Normal? Flash? Diffuser? Pin-hole?

Maybe it's the nature of my ADHD behavioral issues. I can't make a decision
so I haul everything with me. Then when confronted with a photographic
opportunity, I'm not seeing it because I'm too distracted by the options.
Like I said, maybe none of you have this problem. I'm happy for you.

> There are still an infinite number of images waiting to be captured, so
missing
> seemingly unique opportunities through the wrong equipment is really a
false issue.

That is a very good point. When editing down images from a wedding or event
shoot I have to remind myself that I really don't need seven dupes of
exactly the same shot except for a slight adjustment person #3's facial
expression. I have to tell myself that all seven shots are great--just pick
one, delete the rest and pretend that you never pressed the shutter-release
for them.

It also comes down to something else. This isn't a "trip of a lifetime" nor
the first time I've been there. This is one of our favorite haunts and I
already have some seriously nice stuff.

> On the other hand, forcing yourself to do something because it's what you
think
> you should do, for whatever external reasons, sounds like a good way to
stifle
> creativity and ruin a vacation.

Maybe not. By being seemingly restrictive in my options, I can stop being so
gear-centric and limit distractions (ADHD strikes again) thereby actually
creating opportunities for creativity--not stifling them.

This is all very laughable, in the grand scheme of things. You call having
on OM-3Ti with 35-80 and shooting with the world's finest B&W films
"RESTRICTIVE"?

Besides, due to the filter issue, I've already determined that the 24/2.8,
50/1.8, 100/2.8 and 200/4 will be packed. Along with at least one other OM
body...

I can stop ANYTIME I want. Honest.

AG