Re: [OM] olympus Digest, Vol 33, Issue 21

Subject: Re: [OM] olympus Digest, Vol 33, Issue 21
From: Willie Wonka <alienspecimen@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 24 Jul 2011 11:44:58 -0700 (PDT)
Hi Nathan,

I have been using Ubuntu for a little over a year now.  It is installed as the
only OS on my about three year old Gateway laptop and am double-booting it
along with Windoz on a four year old top of the line at the time Dell 8400
desktop.

Adobe in Design (PC compatible) is part of the software suite installed on both
computers and within is PS2.  In order to install it under Ubuntu, I used a
program called "Wine".  What you do is the following:
Go to the applications pull-down menu, choose Wine and choose lets say PS2.
Thats all.  PS 2 comes up as if you were using a PC (in glorious "Classic
Windows" theme...:).

If Windoz is in a good mood, I dont see any difference in application
performance.  If not, the application starts much slower than under Ubuntu and
it takes slower to complete some of the tasks, such as: blurring, etc.

My favorite wife and my favorite son were going to throw away the laptop last
year, before I rescued it...:)  It came with Vista and was running somewhat
sluggish, then we tried Windoz 7 and that was not much of an improvement, so
when it came to me, I just erased the offending OS and installed Ubuntu, which
turned the laptop into a solid performer.  BTW, you can double boot Ubuntu on a
Mac too, but dont know which is the Wine equivalent...

In the nineties, I used Virtual PC on my Macs.  This is nothing like that.  I
dont have any performance issues and all the features work.

I used Office at the beginning, but stopped, because Open Office that comes
with Ubuntu is a much more robust application.

HTH

Boris

Will Lightroom or Microsoft Office run under those great free OSs? And I mean
really run, not in some kludge kind of way.

Apple's imperialist tendencies are much less evident when it comes to computers
than with the portable devices. Although I have no problem putting my CDs and
various MP3 from various sources (all legal) on my iPod, so all is well.

Cheers,
Nathan

Nathan Wajsman
Alicante, Spain