Re: [OM] Paph Orchid Series Continues

Subject: Re: [OM] Paph Orchid Series Continues
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 11 Sep 2011 08:27:16 -0400
I was just re-reading this post of yesterday when it occurred to me that
I could easily calculate what I might consider the maximum *usable*
resolution of a full-frame sensor.  By usable I mean the 80 lines/mm
practical resolution limit that Williams attributes to the very
experienced photographer working on a good tripod.  Turning that into
pixels with a simplistic calculation gives 22MP.  Allowing for Bayer
interpolation it's probably a bit bigger than that, say 25MP or maybe
even 30MP.  In any case, current sensor technology is already there or
very nearly so.  Even assuming my lenses can resolve that much or more
(not likely) waiting for even more pixels would be futile.  My working
technique will never be able to utilize that much resolution.

Chuck Norcutt