Re: [OM] OM-D EM-5 review at dpreview

Subject: Re: [OM] OM-D EM-5 review at dpreview
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 3 May 2012 13:55:52 -0500
> But a 0.5X converter would shrink the image circle and bring in poorly
> corrected areas from outside the normal circle as well as likely adding
> significant vignetting.

Intended purpose would be for legacy 35mm lenses which have the larger
imaging circle.

Kodak has almost all of the key patents on this technology and was
intentionally designed to allow the Four-Thirds sensor to use the 35mm
format lenses as intended. I can only assume that Olympus did not and
has not implemented this technology has everything to do with
protecting the sales of new lenses. In fact, in one of the patent
filings, you can see how Four-Thirds was the intended subject for this
technology from the very beginning.

What is significant about the Kodak patents, as opposed to the others,
is that Kodak addressed the focus shift issue. However, when combined
with the short flange of Micro Four-Thirds, that's not even an issue.

It may be that the main reason why the adaptor was never produced for
Four-Thirds was the incredibly long flange-to-sensor distance. As this
is not a problem with Micro Four-Thirds, I was hoping that the adaptor
would come out with the OM-D.

This is no secret, a deep military secret as to how to build one of
these adaptors. Olympus could even charge a massive chunk of change
and still sell bunches of them. Olympus also has some of the world's
top most optical engineers, so I don't buy it that it's too difficult.
Given the price of the EM-5, adding another $800 USD for the adaptor
still would be less expensive than a used 5DMk2.

Kodak could definitely use the licensing income.

AG