Re: [OM] The E-M5 has arrived

Subject: Re: [OM] The E-M5 has arrived
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 20 Jan 2013 10:22:13 -0500
Sure I do.  The things I complained about are very minor... they "bug me
a bit" and much less important than the things I love.  They're also not
likely to change although 3 of them could be changed in firmware.  In
any case the existing behavior is better than my Canon 5D.  Except for
the screen (likely a standard size) it's just that it could have been
even more complete with little effort.

It appears that the high data content displays shown on pages 30 and 31
of the manual really don't exist.  So my complaint it not with the
product but with the manual that implies strongly that they do.  I
wasted a lot of time trying to figure out why I couldn't replicate that
display.

What I said:

Things that bug me a bit -
I'd like to shrink the giant screen in favor of another couple buttons.
Can't view flashies and histogram at the same time
Top of shooting histgram is truncated
Separate colors RGB histograms (plural) only available in review mode.
Olympus owner's manuals, eg; page 30, 31 show high data content
viewfinder and monitor displays that I have been totally unable to
reproduce on my own camera.

Luke warm -
The 800x600 EVF display is not bad but even I (vs Eagle-eye Moose) can
see some pixellation.  It blows my Minolta A1 out of the water but it
will take another generation or two before it's really great.

Things I love
Both highlight and shadow flashies
Live preview of exposure and compensation
Freely moveable focus point over most (but not all) of the screen
Full time vertical/horizontal leveling bars
Multiple grid displays
Body with 14-150 about like carrying an OM-1 with 135/3.5

Chuck Norcutt