[OM] The Boys of Winter...

Subject: [OM] The Boys of Winter...
From: David Young <dsy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 26 Jan 2013 16:18:41 -0800
I had a fascinating time, today, testing a friend's Oly OM-D (a.k.a. the E-M5)
out at Stake Lake.  It's a camera I've been considering purchasing.

I am most impressed with it's performance, on relatively static subjects.  The
auto-focus is quick, and the image quality is close to that of the Leica R8/DMR
combination I used to use, but with far better high ISO performance and a 16mp
sensor.

So, what better test it with action, than the maniacs who race motorbikes and
Quads, reaching 50 to 80 kph on a frozen lake?

The camera is tiny - making it a delight to travel with, but a pain to use,
with even light, leather gloves.

Problems were that the finder jumped, horribly, when I panned horizontally,
across the field.  This, I was able to cure by switching to the high frame rate
for the finder.  Sadly, this then consumes the rather small battery much
faster.

I'm sad to report that, at least with the lens I tried (the 75~300 f4.8-6.7
M-Zuiko), results were not impressive.  The camera hunted wildly, trying to
lock on to it's subject , most often failing.  Even with Continuous tracking,
the camera was able to focus fewer than 10% of the shots.

However, when the OM-D did get it right, the results were pretty good!

http://www.furnfeather.net/temps/TheBoys-1.html

CAUTION:  This jpeg is 1.1mb - so it will take a while to load, if you are on
dial-up!

For now, I guess I'll stick with my E-3, which performs much better with
these sorts of subjects, and wait, impatiently, for the rumoured semi-pro
version.

David.