[OM] Continuous AF tracking, was: The Boys of Winter...

Subject: [OM] Continuous AF tracking, was: The Boys of Winter...
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2013 05:56:00 -0500
Usually what I'm trying to shoot is pretty stationary.  The exceptions
are trying to shoot one of the grandkid's soccer or baseball games.
Especially baseball.  I'm near first base, the grandkid has just hit the
ball and is proceeding to first base at a rapid clip.  Focus distance is
already close and closing very fast.  The only way I've ever been
successful at that is to pre-focus near the base and wait for the kid to
enter the zone.

If I try to use continuous autofocus it never seems to work.  I think it
fails because I suspect I'm not keeping the focus point continuously on
the kid.  Or it may be that my old, film era Tamron and Tokina EF mount
lenses aren't fast enough (I don't own any Canon or other lenses with
ultrasonic focus motors).  Or, maybe a combination of both factors.

But it has never been enough of a problem to get me to spring for more
expensive USM lenses.  A friend recently offered me his very good
condition Canon 70-200/4 IS for $900.  Probably a good price but I
decided not to.  That was already half way to the price of the E-M5 and
two lenses I just bought.  :-)

Chuck Norcutt