[OM] The Seamy Underbelly [and still HDR question]

Subject: [OM] The Seamy Underbelly [and still HDR question]
From: usher99@xxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 1 Feb 2013 18:46:10 -0500 (EST)
On 2/1/2013 12:24 PM, Chuck Norcutt wrote:

> Does this mean that I should feed raw files to "merge to HDR" and do
> exposure corrections afterward?

Yes, PS prefers that, it seems.  Even opening the psd files may muck up
the tone mapping for the hdr image as PS can not assume the exposure
data is valid for the pixels in the image.  Ironically the
"photorealistic" HDR merge with the PSD files  on my last experiment
led to an image that required less fussing.  The raw file merge looked
like it was taken with a 100yd high by 100 yd long softbox.  It was
harder to adjust than I thought--never really could get it just as I
wanted though it was better than any of the single shots in this tough
test.

One shot Moose writes:

>>The second question is one Mike raised. Does the HDR reading of Raw
files use
>>or ignore exposure adjustment info in the
>>sidecar files?

I need to confirm again but am now  98% sure it will read the lens
aberration corrections but ignore any exposure fussing recorded in the
side car files (as Moose said, not sure why one would want to pre HDR
image)  as long as one merges the RAW files. FWIW I  also did find a
reference to that effect in an adobe help forum answer by a staff
member very very late last night.  Thus one should be able to dial back
the lens aberration correction module if it muddies the corners and get
away with an HDR merge.

Insurance policy for  small sensor horse cam almost in place,
Mike